First Cars + Stick Shifts

Thursday

For this week I'm taking a break from home reno stuff to regroup. So I thought I'd do a series of blog posts that I've wanted to do for some time. I'm sharing some fun things that people think are hilarious when I tell them, or say "I had no idea". A silly little series but kind of a fun things that kind of tell more of who we are.


For my first job out of University I needed a car. But at 24 I didn't have drivers licence, let alone a car. My parents always had vans, which I found intimidating to drive. And, in High School, all of my friends, including Aubrey, had cars. So really I had no need for one. Mix in that living in Toronto, around the corner from the Subway - you got you everywhere you needed.

When I looked for a car, I had already fallen for the new Mini Cooper. Red with a white top, and the best little car you will ever drive. The website said it had "Go-Cart Technology" which kind of sold me, because, well, I knew how to drive go-carts. The flip side to the car? It only came in Standard (they didn't make automatic at first). But, I was determined - I was already in love.

I bought the car and when it came to drive it home, my Dad got the honour. It was the best drive home. We stopped at Starbucks and someone calling it a Richard Scary car. I learnt how to drive at night with my Dad, around the neighbourhood, and a few months later, I got my licence. There were a lot of moments of me freaking out seeing hills, stop signs or having to downshift. If you have learned standard, you'll know what I mean. Had it been a boring little car I likely wouldn't have made the effort to learn the stick shift, but the Mini was worth it. :) And that is the story of how I learned how to drive, and my first car. :)
Share on : Facebook Twitter Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment